National Quality Control Laboratory was first conceived in 1978 as an initiative of the Ministry of Health looking into the possibilities of improving drug control activities through the development of a quality control laboratory. The Laboratory was established as a legal entity through an Act of Parliament; CAP 244 Section 35D (Pharmacy & Poisons (Amendment) Act, 1992).
The examination and testing of drugs and any material or substance from or with which and the manner in which drugs may be manufactured, processed or treated and ensuring the quality control of drugs and medicinal substances;
Performing chemical, biological, biochemical, physiological and pharmacological analysis and other pharmaceutical evaluation; and
Testing, at the request of the Board and on behalf of the Government, of locally manufactured and imported drugs or medicinal substances with a view to determining whether such drugs or medicinal substances comply with this Act or rules made there under.
- Employee Involvement and Welfare – Employees’ involvement at all levels is the hallmark of the Laboratory. Every member is expected to exhibit high standards of integrity and professionalism. We are committed to the welfare of its workers.
- Environmental awareness – We address social and environmental issues responsibly through community participation.
- Integrity and honesty – We endeavor to guarantee customers the best quality products, fast and efficient services. Our staff give their best to national building by exhibiting high standards of integrity and honesty.
- Innovation and Technology – We embrace new innovations and latest technological development in our operations to the benefit of the health sector.
- Competence and Excellence - We strive to be a role model in promoting and sustaining standards of competence and excellence.
- Commitment to customer service – Our commitment to service excellence is demonstrated by our projected improvement in process service delivery using Information Technology packages as a tool and in continued training of staff in customer service; teamwork, respect, confidentiality, friendliness.
- Quality service – We strive for excellence in the delivery of quality service to our customers and clients. We exhibit customer sensitivity, ensuring timely delivery of services.
- Teamwork and productivity – We are a multi and intra – disciplinary organisation requiring effective teamwork to deliver services. We support and facilitate teamwork by recognizing both team and individual effort, hard work, output, continuous learning, accepting change and confidentiality.